Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to build a swimming pool?


It takes about 2-3 months to complete the actual construction, however this depends on the level of difficulty involved as well as inclement weather.

Do I need a pool fence?

Swimming pool and spa owners are required by law to have a pool fence or safety barrier around their pool.  Government standards and regulations stipulate how the fence should be designed and constructed, and also how to maintain the fence in accordance with Australian Standards 1926.1. Pool fences must by non-climbable by young children and need to include self-latching gates.

Do I need pool plans or engineering?

We can advise you with ideas and designs for creating your dream pool, or we can work with an existing plan from an architect or landscape designer. All concrete pools require engineering, Venetian Pools has specialised engineers to carry out the works required.

What items are not included in the pool quote?

The following are not included because they require specialised tradesmen; however Venetian Pools can assist in organising these items:

•    Licensed plumbing connections

•    Licensed electrical connections

•    Pool fencing

What is the difference between a fibreglass and concrete pool?

The major difference between fibreglass and concrete is with concrete, you can custom make your pool to any size or shape and to fit any area of your yard while you’re a bit more limited with fibreglass.

Do I need to lodge plans to the council?

Yes, plans will need to be lodged to the council since building permits are required for any swimming pool or spa capable of holding more than 300mm of water. Venetian Pools will handle all the paperwork for the client.

Do we need to get a soil test done?

A soil test, preferably no older than 10 years old, is recommended, since we never really know what we will hit when we commence digging in your backyard.

Why use a registered building practitioner?

Every building project, whether big or small, carries some sort of risk. By using a licensed builder, you are engaging a qualified, knowledgeable and experienced professional. If you are building a swimming pool or spa, the 2 questions you should ask your pool builder are:

1.Are you a licensed builder? 

2.Are you a member of SPASA?

Do swimming pools and spas need to be installed by a licensed builder?

Installing a swimming pool or spa involves a number of specialised trades and techniques.  The Victorian government has legislated that builders undertaking work with a value over $5000 must be registered with the Building Practitioners Board.  For works over $12000, builders must also provide Builders warranty insurance.

Sam Poli Personlly Supervisors Your Whole Project From Start to Finish

Sam has been involved in the swimming pool industry since 1983 in the Melbourne Metro area and regional Victoria.



Sam Poli
Contemporary Swimming Pool Design

Like to know more? Contact us today!

Venetian Pools Concrete In-ground Swimming Pool & Spa Design and Construction in Melbourne Servicing Melbourne Northern Suburbs

About Us

About Us


Privacy Statement

We’re Here To Help


Planning Your Pool





Contact Us